Sunday 17 March 2013

A Trip Down Memory Lane.

Sunday 17th March didn't get off to a particularly good start. I woke up feeling pretty awful. Only a cold, but awful none the less. I suppose it was obvious that it had to come my way as Sarah has been feeling poorly all week. It seems that no matter how hygienic you try to be, germs like to spread themselves everywhere. As I spend so much time with Sarah at the moment her germs were always going to spread my way. I did bring her up to share though so its not totally her fault.

A few weeks ago Dad recieved an invitation from his younger brother, my Uncle Alfie, to his 60th wedding anniversary celebrations. I used to love visiting Uncle Alfie and Auntie Phyls house when I was growing up, but don't see them at all nowadays. In fact the last time was at Mums funeral 10 years ago. The same goes for my cousin Jill and Dads three sisters, Olive, Sylvia and Rene. There are also a whole group of cousins and other relations that I haven't seen for much much longer. 60 years of marriage is a great accomplishment and we promised to take Dad to see everyone, so with Nicholas and Sarah, we all set off to Monmouth. I enjoyed the few hours we spent with everyone, catching up with cousins and cousins children, meeting partners for the first time and generally going over the "old days"! Jill and Lorna had pinned up some photos of Auntie Phyl and Uncle Alfie's 60 years together. They were fantastic to see ( if you knew me you would know just how much I love photographs) but one in particular jumped put at me as soon as I saw the display. It showed my Nana and Grandad celebrating their golden wedding anniversary. My Mum had a party for them and the family at our house all those years ago and although I don't remember the day too clearly, I do have some recollection. I was quite taken back when I saw the photo, as I haven't any of them together, and this was exactly how I remember them. It was fairly difficult to keep the tears away. Jill has said that she will send me a copy. It will be amazing if she does. I will be waiting for the postman every day just in case and if I do recieve a copy it will make an appearance on my blog, but for now, here's some of the long lost family.



No comments:

Post a Comment